/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
Research Assignment for the Policy Paper
You should choose a policy issue that interests you. It can be a national policy or a California state issue.
My topic: Education: Public school funding and how California allocates resources for K-12 schools.
1. First, research the issue using the internet, newspaper, or magazine articles to get background information on the issue.
2. Familiarize your self with policy-making and federalism by reviewing chapters 4 and 17-19 in your text.
3. Next, write a two page double-spaced paper discussing the history of the issue and the current policy. Be sure to define the issue, including key questions the issue raises. Be sure to consult at least three sources and cite them using MLA format.
4. Submit your typed Word document to Canvas. You do not need to submit a printed copy.
5. Here are some questions you should consider when writing your research assignment:
· How has public policy changed at the state and/or national level?
· What are the current debates or controversies regarding the issue?
· What are the policy preferences of liberals, conservatives, interest groups, and political parties?
Did you define the issue and include a discussion of the history?
Did you discuss the current policy debates?
Did you discuss the policy preferences of interest groups and political parties?
Was your writing up to the standards of a college essay and did you cite all sources in the text?
- Build on the issue you researched and submitted for the Policy Research Paper Assignment. Be sure you have thoroughly discussed the issue including the history of the policy including the various policy changes that have taken place at the state and/or national level. What are the current debates or controversies regarding the issue? Finally, Did you include a discussion of the various policy preferences of liberals, conservatives, interest groups, and political parties?(Note: this portion was previously submitted for your Research Assignment).
- Research different policy proposals for your issue. What are some of the suggested policy changes and how would they affect the current policy? What are the arguments in favor or opposed to these proposed changes? Finally, what policy would you like to see implemented and why?(Note: This last section of the paper is where you should express your own “take” on the issue. In the earlier parts of the paper, you provided an objective and balanced consideration of the issue based on facts and evidence).
- Type a 1200 word paper (double-spaced, 12 point font, 1 inch margins) using Microsoft Word. Be sure to cite all sources in the text where appropriate. You may use MLA format for citing your sources. Here is a website if you’re unsure of the proper format: MLA. https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/07/
Did you fully describe the issue and the current policy?
Did you provide a critical evaluation of different policy proposals?
Did you describe your own position on the issue?
Was your writing up to the standards of a college essay and did you cite all sources in the text and include a works cited page?