Critical Appraisal & Intervention Selection Assignment
A priority in selecting interventions is to effectively choose from what already exists so as not to duplicate, nor develop unnecessarily. In some cases, you may have two or three interventions to choose from that seem to serve the same purpose for the client. In order to choose, you need to move to another level of organization that takes a more detailed look at the components of an intervention. This will require a thorough critical appraisal of your chosen intervention and assurance that this is a safe, ethical, effective, and productive method for your client while taking into account the uniqueness of their situation and needs. When selecting an intervention, it is always good to have an alternative intervention choice to offer clients in the case that they do not feel comfortable or agree to the processes of the intervention presented to them.
For this assignment, students will provide a critical appraisal of at least three possible interventions that will be used from their chosen case study.
Area I. Introduction (10 points):
1. Provide a brief background of your client’s situation and needs.
2. Describe any cultural considerations that should be considered in choosing an appropriate intervention (culture, age, gender, sexual orientation, values, beliefs etc.)
3. Describe at least three interventions that you considered for your case study and provide a brief overview for each:
· Name of the intervention.
· Primary problem/concern (or diagnosis) of the intervention designed.
Area II. Critical Appraisal (10 points):
· Critically appraise each of the three chosen interventions that are being considered and provide an analysis addressing the following areas:
· Assess the quality (or goodness of fit) of the intervention?
· Does it adequately address the problem/concern (diagnosis) of the client?
· Does it meets ethical considerations of our NASW Code of Ethics?
· Is the process for intervention delivery and its content is appropriate for the client?
· Does the mode of delivery suit the functioning/self-management level of client?
· Are the expected results/outcomes observable and measurable either quantitatively or qualitatively?
· Does the practitioner (you) and the agency/organization have the appropriate trainingand resources to deliver the intervention?
o (This question relates to the NASW Code of Ethics Ethical Principles describing the value of competence of: “Social workers practice within areas of competence and develop and enhance their professional expertise.”).
Area III. Conclusion (10 points):
1. Provide a brief conclusion to your paper and include the following:
2. Describe how you rank the three chosen interventions.
· Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – Why is this your first choice?
· Emotion-Focused Therapy – Why is this your second choice?
· Family Systems Therapy – Why is this your third choice?
3. Discuss why are you considering one intervention more than the others?
Area IV – Quality & Format of Writing (5 points)
· Write a paper limited to no more than 3-5 double-spaced pages (a guideline) using Times New Roman 12 point font. Please include scholarly sources if relevant to this assignment.
· You must use APA style, including double-spaced. This paper is to be written in APA format with appropriate running head, page numbering, title page (which does not count towards the length of the paper), academic citations and references for this paper.
· It is essential that headings and sub-headings are included in this assignment as this is an APA requirement
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
Originally posted 2017-11-09 20:01:46.