/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
17/18 Global Business Development (BUS3003-STD)
Assignment 1: Individual written portfolio
You must choose a British product (in origin) sold in the United Kingdom for less than £10. Discuss the international business and marketing activities for the product in China developing market.
It is important to point out that you cannot select a product that already exists in the developing market you have chosen. For example, Coca-Cola is already sold in Poland so you would not be able to choose this for the assignment.
•The assignment should cover the following four parts:
- The brand and product selected (background company information).
- Choice of a country and analysis (it is not necessary to justify why you have chosen one developing market over another), but you must explain why the selected product would be suited to that market and why the market is attractive for investment (demographics, culture, nature of competition, GDP growth, ease of doing business index, etc.).
- Select and justify the entry mode strategy for entering the developing market (e.g. exporting, joint ventures, franchising, turnkey project, etc.).
- Post entry marketing decisions (4Ps) for the first 3 years (you can group these for example into initial entry, years 2 and 3).
You should think of realistic options for the marketing decisions, particularly when talking about promotion and distribution channels. For example, one would not expect an SME with limited finance to be the official sponsor of the Olympic Games in e.g. Tokyo, Japan. However, the firm might be creative about being associated with such an event by promoting the product in association with certain Olympic sports (e.g. gymnastics).
Your portfolio must:
· be 2,500 words in length, excluding references and appendices. However, you will be penalised if appendices are abused. You are allowed 10% above or below the word count only;
· be expressed clearly in grammatically correct English;
· use relevant theories to analyse empirical data;
· draw relevant conclusions from the analysis;
· be fully and correctly referenced both in the text and at the end using the Harvard system.
Assignments handed in up to one week late will be marked but will receive a maximum grade of D-. Assignments that are received more than one week late will not be marked. All requests for extensions to deadlines should be made well before the deadline, using the standard form.
The learning outcomes being addressed through this assignment are:
Knowledge and Understanding
a) Identify and evaluate current debates over the nature and processes of globalisation. Understand the macroeconomic factors and political issues that MNEs have to consider.
b) Analyse the global interaction between transnational corporations, governments and global institutions.
c) Analyse the differing impact of, and responses to, global economic transition and transformation on the part of specific regions and states.
d) Interpret the literature, showing an ability to select, understand and use appropriate models and frameworks to analyse empirical scenarios. Develop the necessary managerial skills of doing business abroad.
e) Work effectively as a team member and facilitator.
f) Present a coherent argument in written forms.