MUST REFERENCE BELOW BOOK. 500-word thread. Your thread must incorporate at least 2 peer-reviewed resources, not including course readings or Scripture. Include in your thread the exercise number or question you chose to answer; the exercise number or question is not to be included in your word count for the forum,
Read EXERCISE 17/13 below from Nkomo, S. M., Fottler, M. D., & McAfee, R. B. (2011). Human resource management applications: Cases, exercises, incidents, and skill builders (7th ed.). Mason, OH: South-Western Publishing Co. ISBN: 9780538468077. Page 59.
· write a thread that discusses the situation. Include in your thread the exercise number you chose to answer; the exercise number is not to be included in your word count for this forum, however.
· Exercise 17/13 (Lia Lee)
Your thread must consist of at least 3 paragraphs and be structured as follows:
2. Summarize the key elements in the case. What legal statute(s) apply to the case? (See the list at the beginning of Exercise 17 for the 6 major federal laws.)
3. What issue(s) must the court decide in the case?
4. If you were the judge, how would you rule? Did the employer discriminate unlawfully? Why or why not
Is This Unlawful Discrimination?
A. To help you understand the application of the six major federal laws that regulate equal rights in employment. These laws are Title VII of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 as amended by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
A. Read the exercise and review the major laws before class. B. The class should be divided into groups of four. C. Each group should read each of the incidents that follow and answer these questions:
1. What legal statute(s) apply in this case?
2. What issue(s) must the court decide in this case?
3. If you were the judge, how would you rule? Did the employer discriminate unlawfully? Why or why not?
READ CASE MUST ANSWER QUESTIONS BASED OFF EXERCISE 17/13
(use)Title VII of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 as amended by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972 (use)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
(EXERCISE 17/13) Lia Lee, a Laotian-American, worked for Federal and State Bank for over three years as teller. She had always received outstanding performance reviews from her supervisors. Consequently, when a position became available at the customer service desk that handled customer inquiries and problems, Lia applied for the position. She did not get the promotion. The bank argued that she was not promoted because she did not have sufficient English skills to calm irate customers. Lia Lee filed a lawsuit alleging that Federal and State Bank had overlooked her for a promotion because of her accent.
Originally posted 2017-11-01 14:32:02.