/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
font-family:”Times New Roman”;
Name___________________________________________ Section #_____________
ISB 201L Paper #2 Rubric
Topic: Does deforestation affect the occurrence of malaria?
The following is a guide to the point distribution that will be used when assigning a grade to your completed paper. Point values for each section indicate ranges that will be used when your Instructor grades your paper. Attach this page as a cover sheet to the front of your paper.
PROPOSAL: Due in class the week of MARCH 26-30
You will first submit a proposal for your paper to your TA. This way your TA can provide you with helpful comments early in the writing process. Your proposal is worth 5 points and must include the following:
· (1 point) Bibliography / References section that includes at least three scientific references that you will cite in your paper. One reference must be from a peer-reviewed scientific journal. References must be published within 2005-present.
· (1 point) Hypothesis statement (explanatory) Make a testable statement indicating how deforestation affects the occurrence of malaria. For example, “I hypothesize that deforestation causes _______ occurrence of malaria due to _________.”
· (3 points) Brief summary of each of your three chosen references (use in-line citations to document which info comes from which source)
PAPER: Due in class + D2L dropbox the week of APRIL 9-13
________ (1 point) Staple a copy of this rubric to the front of your paper when you hand it in.
________ (1 point) Staple your graded proposal to the front of your paper when you hand it in.
________ (16 pts.) Introduction
Introduce your topic – “Does deforestation affect the occurrence of malaria?”
· Describe Malaria: Describe how malaria affects a community in Africa or South America. Describe 2 environmental AND 2 human-driven factors that contribute to the spread of malaria.
· Describe Deforestation: Where and why is it occurring in the world? What are the major costs and benefits associated with deforestation?
________ (3 pts.) Hypothesis Statement
Make a testable statement indicating how deforestation affects the occurrence of malaria. For example, “I hypothesize that deforestation causes _______ occurrence of malaria due to _________.”
________ (24 pts.) Results and Discussion
Summarize 3 or more quality scientific sources that are directly related to your hypothesis. For each source, you must 1) describe what the researchers did, 2) report what the researchers found, using data from the article, 3) state how the research findings relate to your hypothesis, and 4) establish the causal mechanism between deforestation and the occurrence of malaria.
________ (5 pts.) Conclusion
Clearly state whether your Position/Hypothesis has been supported or refuted by the articles you summarized. Use specific examples from your sources in order to justify your conclusion.
________ (2 pts.) References
Full bibliographic information is included at the end of your paper for all sources used. This includes the authors’ names, title, publication name, volume, and page numbers.
________ Points may be deducted from your score for the following reasons:
o Utilizing references that are not scientifically reputable
o Failing to utilize in-line citations
o Using quotations from sources
o Poor paraphrasing/Plagiarism
________ 50 Total Possible Points
**Papers submitted after the assignment due date and time will have a grade reduction of 10% per day.