/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
font-family:”Times New Roman”;
The ability to communicate your knowledge in oral and written formats is a core academic skill set you should acquire whilst at University.
Successful completion of this assignment should allow you to:
– read and understand journal articles that provide the evidence base for clinical practice,
– critically review the information presented in journal articles and develop balanced and well supported viewpoints based upon a thorough examination of the associated literature,
– identify limitations in the evidence presented by relating it to current, accepted understanding of the area/condition,
– support your viewpoints with sound and reliable peer-reviewed reference sources,
– define and effectively convey clinically relevant information in an organised and logical fashion,
– broaden your understanding of the relationships between body systems, the development of pathology/pathophysiology and its management
– develop an enquiry based approach to learning that promotes the accumulation and balanced critical assessment of the evidence base used to inform accepted clinical practices.
A 1000 word, structured response answering the specific questions related to the following journal article (accessible via the eReading link ).
Brill SE and Wedzicha JA. Oxygen therapy in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. International Journal of COPD. (2014) 9: 1241-1252.
· Use the Brill and Wedzicha article as your starting point for the answers. Additional detail can be sourced from other journal articles as necessary (ie. consider the primary articles cited or more recent articles to supplement your answers).
· Information provided in your answers must be referenced following academic conventions. A reference list should be included at the end of your document conforming to Harvard (author/date) format. References and in text citations are not included in the word count.
· Use the answer template provided by pasting it into a new document
: Journal Review
Answer Template (cut and paste into a new document).
- What is the key characteristic that defines Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and what spectrum of disease does it cover? What is the most common etiological cause of COPD, and how does it lead to the condition? (5 marks)
- Explain what is meant by an exacerbation of COPD and identify what can cause an exacerbation and what co-morbidities can influence its severity. What would you expect the patient to present with if they were having a severe exacerbation? (10 marks)
- Describe the events occurring during an acute exacerbation of COPD that disrupt the normal ventilation-perfusion (V/Q) ratio in the lungs? (20 marks)
- What are the beneficial effects of supplemental oxygen therapy in stable COPD? (5 marks)
- Describe the problems/consequences that can be created by treating a patient having an acute exacerbation of COPD with high flow oxygen? (20 marks)
- When administering oxygen therapy to a patient having an acute exacerbation of COPD, what key factors should you consider? (10 marks)
- With reference to the current literature, analyse the COPD clinical practice guideline (CPG) from one Australian ambulance service and identify its strengths and weaknesses. (10 marks)
Originally posted 2018-05-11 12:23:51.